- Electronics Cooling
- Technologies and innovation
- Energy savings counselling
- Calculate now: How much can you save?
- Examples of Energy Savings
- Case studies - Free Cooling
- Case studies - DC Air Conditioning
- Case studies - Heat Exchange
- Case studies - Combo Cooling
- Case studies - Battery Cooling
- Case studies - Challenging Climates
- Case studies - Tetra Network Cooling
EXTRACTION VS. FREE COOLING
SOLUTION IN south AFRICA
A large mobile operator wanted to evaluate the difference between their existing extraction solution and a Dantherm Free Cooling solution – and achieved impressive results.
One-year test setup
The customer wanted to test two similar shelters with two cooling equipment setups:
- Same type of air conditioner
- Two different Free Cooling solutions (with controller), an extraction version and a Dantherm Flexibox with an ACUE Controller.
- The two shelters were located in the same proximity, had the same transmission equipment (and similar traffic on the site) and the same temperature settings.
- The measurement was done according to how much the existing air conditioner needed to run - when it was controlled by either the extraction solution or the Dantherm Flexibox solution.
- The test ran for one year from April 2012 to April 2013.
Test results revealed possible savings of 80 %
The test showed significant differences in energy consumption. The exhaust controller ran the air conditioner to consume 22.000 kWh, whereas the Dantherm-controlled site consumed 4.300 kWh.
The answer to this difference lies in the fact that there are several ways to control temperatures at a Telecom site. The Dantherm-developed controller for the Flexibox is a well-proven solution with an intelligent, energy-saving strategy. This controller focuses on both the control of the Free Cooling Flexibox and the control of the air conditioner. See chart below for total results:
Booming energy prices means fast ROI
The Dantherm Flexibox solution is estimated to generate energy savings of 1.770 EUR/year in 2013 on each of the customer's sites - or 80 % energy savings in total. The energy company of the customer is forecasting 20-30 % price increases/year the coming 3 years, so the solutions will achieve ROI very quickly for this specific case.
Read in detail about the technology behind our Free Cooling solutions.
Get your own calculation
Request an energy savings calculation based on your specific site conditions.